Top 20 SQL Server Clustering Interview Questions
There are total 79 questions are answered under SQL Server Clustering category in the book “SQL THE ONE”. In this chapter we can see questions and answers on SQL Server Fail-over Clustering and scenarios. Below are the Top 20 SQL Server Clustering Interview Questions:
1. What is Private Network in windows cluster?
2. What Quorum mode you recommend for a given cluster?
3. Can we change the Quorum settings after installing the windows cluster?
4. What is Node and Disk Majority model?
5. Let’s say a user is performing a transaction on a clustered server and failover has occurred. What will happen to the Transaction?
6. What are the Hardware requirements for SQL Server Cluster?
7. How many IP Addresses we require for setting up Active\Active SQL Server cluster with Analysis services?
8. What is the difference between Active\Passive and Active\Active cluster?
9. Is it mandatory to configure MSDTC in Windows Server 2012 cluster before installing SQL Server cluster?
10. What are “LooksAlive” and “IsAlive” checks?
11. We have a SQL Server cluster instance. As business required we would like to install a new database which is not critical and failover not required in-case of any issues. Can we keep this database files on local disk instead of clustered disk?
12. Can you tell me the best feature in SQL Server 2012 ALWAYSON Failover Cluster when compared to SQL Server 2008 R2 Failover Cluster?
13. Can you quickly describe the events occurs when a failover happens? Let’s say we have Node 1 and Node 2. Node 1 is active and Node 2 is passive and virtual network name is VirtualNode1.
14. How to apply service pack on Active/Passive cluster on 2008 and 2012?
15. You find SP is not applied on all the nodes across the cluster. How to apply SP only on required nodes?
16. How to change the SQL Server service account in a cluster environment?
17. We need to install and configure SQL Server 2012 Active/Passive cluster on Windows Server 2012 R2. Windows cluster is ready. Now can you tell me how do you install SQL Server Failover Cluster?
18. I have 2 node Active/Passive failover cluster on SQL Server 2012 built on Windows Server 2012 R2. Now on active node SQL instance one of the databases is not coming online due to a page corruption. Can you get it online by initiating a manual failover to other node?
19. We have been using SQL Server cluster instances for our applications. Now our client required a name change for SQL Server Network name which is being used by our applications to connect to SQL Server cluster instance. How do you change SQL Server network name?
20. What are the various log files that helps us in troubleshooting issues and in Root Cause Analysis in Failover Clustering?
These Top 20 SQL Server Clustering Interview Questions are the sample questions randomly collected from the book “SQL THE ONE”.
Please share your feedback and comments on below comments section or reach me on email@example.com. We wish you all the best for the next interview.